*R|A* Raging-Angels Battlefield 2 Community
In-Game Frame Rates - Printable Version

+- *R|A* Raging-Angels Battlefield 2 Community (http://raging-angels.com)
+-- Forum: Public Area (http://raging-angels.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: *R|A* Helpdesk (http://raging-angels.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: In-Game Frame Rates (/showthread.php?tid=3646)

In-Game Frame Rates - Ricko276 - 12-25-2017

So we have one of our very own clan members who needs some technical help with his game/pc. The question came up as they mentioned possibly needing a new PC to play BF2. Well a new PC would be great, but it may be possible to get by with a new GPU or upgrading certain components instead of replacing the entire machine. We are inviting the knowledge of anyone who feels they can help. 

We tried to start off simple and determine what his in-game FPS is. To the best of my knowledge this is done by entering the in-game console and typing.. 

renderer.drawfps 1          (then press ENTER key)  you should see your in-game FPS in the upper left corner of your screen now.

At this point, we will need to see what this number is to figure out what to do next. I have been told that BF2 should run with at least 30-35 FPS.  The game has a max default FPS of 100.  So if you are running on the low end you may want to close as many background processes as you can including PB 'A' and PB 'B' etc and even step-down your video settings a little bit at a time.  If you find your FPS closer to the 'big end' then you may be able to increase your video settings for a 'nicer visual experience' and maybe you will be able to see the enemy better and farther away.  IF you find that you are running 100 FPS in game consistently then I would think that a new PC is not needed. Maybe a new GPU or something pretty simple would do the job. 

As always I would suggest making sure that you have the latest drivers for your components (video card/network card) installed. I have had to try many different 'compatibility' settings to make the game work right and have it set to 'windows XP svc pk 2'.  After I start the game, but BEFORE I join the server I always alt/tab to desktop, go to taskmanager, select 'details' find BF2 and right click. Select 'priority' and finally set that priority to 'high'. This is supposed to give bf2 a higher internet priority over all the windows 10 'bloatware' sharing my personal info and actually does seem to work :Smile

So it may be a reasonable suggestion to try these in addition to running a 'speed-test' (I use speed-test.net by ookla) to see if you are getting at least a 30 mbps download and a 4 mbps upload.

Having played against you many times I can tell you that I envy your very low ping and you move very fast across my screen. Part of that is video-lag most likely on my end for some reason. BF2 was designed to run on Windows XP and on a single-core CPU. Some of the better players are using Win 7 OS. Win 7 has fewer background processes running and seems to be more efficient than Win 8.0 and Win 10. If you decide to upgrade your Operating System be sure to get the 64 bit version. Updates after the New Year will be geared more towards those and 32 bit support will be fading away in the near term perhaps becoming noticeable in the 3rd qtr. 2018. This will be certain for NVIDIA cards and support.

I am here to help you in this any way I can. So don't hesitate to ask. I am sure that others have more knowledge and experience in this than I do. Sharing your current system specs would make it pretty easy to determine if your machine up to the task or not. Again, having played against you I think that it is and could just use some updating in the drivers and possibly a GPU. 

You can PM me with anything or add to this here.

-*R|A* Ricko'

RE: In-Game Frame Rates - Corona - 12-25-2017

BF2 is a 12 year old game. My android tablet could run it at 100 FPS. You should be able to build a computer that would run it at 500 fps for a few hundred dollars. Any new store bought computer (including business machines) should run it fine, especially if your goal is 30 -35 fps

btw, you can unlock the frame rate with this command.

game.lockfps X      where x is the new frame cap. 100 is default.

RE: In-Game Frame Rates - Ricko276 - 12-31-2017

So this post was created to help our good buddy fatboy! He is unable to enter a command in the CONSOLE. Says he gets the error message "unknown object or method". I think its an 'entry-error'. Any thought on helping him see what kind of in-game FPS he is getting?

RE: In-Game Frame Rates - Corona - 12-31-2017

Must be user error, these console commands should work for everybody. "unknown object or error" is a syntax error so he is typing it in wrong.

RE: In-Game Frame Rates - Orrible - 01-04-2018

I get 55fps on a 7 yo laptop

RE: In-Game Frame Rates - Ricko276 - 01-04-2018

orrible, what settings are you using? 55 fps on 'low' ain't saying much LOL. Frame rates can be an indicator of pc performance but as you know there are other factors to be considered also. This thread was started to assist *R|A*fatboy and as I have tried to tell him before, he seems very fast to me on my screen. He can shoot me down with a machine gun and I only realize he is shooting at me when I have maybe 4-5 bars left. He can shoot me down with tank main gun and one hit leaves me with 3-5 bars. I asked him last time I saw him that if he was gonna get a new pc and throw his current pc away that I would like to have it Wink lol

RE: In-Game Frame Rates - fatboy429 - 01-11-2018

thanks for all the help guys. And yes Corona it probly is operator fault

RE: In-Game Frame Rates - Ricko276 - 01-13-2018

OK fatboy, tryin' to help you out here bro'. Try typing the commands in correctly when you get a chance.

I am telling you that from what I experience you are a very good player. You are extremely lethal to me anyways with eryx/tank/FAV. I do not think replacing your current pc is needed. I would like to suggest that you consider 'modifying' your tactics when firing on choppers from the ground and also your 'attack angles' when using a jet. I have taken some videos and will post them to my youtube so only you can view them. You would be able to see from a different perspective what is going on.

Then I would be happy to suggest changes so these things don't happen! Recall that a TV has a camera on it. You must get out of the 'line-of-sight' and then 'blast-radius' (splash damage) to survive. Sitting in a tank in the open and bailing out as the TV approaches isn't helpful. Pull alongside that large pipe (as example) fire your tank gun then bail out and jump behind pipe. You usually are the 'initiator' of our contact. You can choose to open fire when its better for you to do so.

Don't throw that pc of your away anytime soon! lol

RE: In-Game Frame Rates - fatboy429 - 01-14-2018

(01-13-2018, 04:12 PM)Ricko276 mine is showing 99.9/10.0 that sound right in the upper left corner of screen. Wrote: OK fatboy,  tryin' to help you out here bro'. Try typing the commands in correctly when you get a chance.

I am telling you that from what I experience you are a very good player.  You are extremely lethal to me anyways with eryx/tank/FAV. I do not think replacing your current pc is needed. I would like to suggest that you consider 'modifying' your tactics when firing on choppers from the ground and also your 'attack angles' when using a jet. I have taken some videos and will post them to my youtube so only you can view them. You would be able to see from a different perspective what is going on.

Then I would be happy to suggest changes so these things don't happen!  Recall that a TV has a camera on it. You must get out of the 'line-of-sight' and then 'blast-radius' (splash damage) to survive. Sitting in a tank in the open and bailing out as the TV approaches isn't helpful.  Pull alongside that large pipe (as example) fire your tank gun then bail out and jump behind pipe. You usually are the 'initiator' of our contact. You can choose to open fire when its better for you to do so.

Don't throw that pc of your away anytime soon! lol

RE: In-Game Frame Rates - Ricko276 - 01-14-2018

Fatboy, yes that sounds good to me!

the 99.9 you see is your in-game fps. the '10' is the time between frames. I can't recall what the unit of measure is though. I'll look that up and post here if I don't see you in the server.

Considering that 100 fps is the game's 'max-default' it seems that your current system can hit that number with the settings described to me in voip.

next step: try typing in the console this command. game.lockfps x then enter. See what that number is.

Also, as a test. try getting into the chopper and firing a TV missile. Watch your fps and the time between frames change. Your fps mat not change much, but the time between frames should increase by approx. '10'.

Sit on carrier deck and just fire ignoring where the TV goes. Just watch the numbers.

I am headed into the server now to do a comparison test. I'll share the results with you asap.

RE: In-Game Frame Rates - Ricko276 - 01-14-2018

OK fatboy,

99.9/10 is what I get too.

when I 'unlock fps' using the 'X' the FPS goes up and the '10' is lowered to '1.5'.

Firing a TV does not change the fps, but weird symbols appear around the '10'.

Boy, I wish these numbers were displayed slightly larger. I had to take pics on my phone and zoom in on them to read LOL

Hope this stuff helps you in your decisions about your pc. IMO a GPU upgrade would be the only thing I would suggest. That's only if YOU really feel you need to do something at all.

Any questions don't hesitate to ask!